Monday, June 25, 2007

The Not-So-Cowardly Lion (But in a Bad Way)

Jon Kitna thinks the Lions will win 10 games in 2007, and more than that after checking the schedule. Rest of the NFL, your rebuttal?

"BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!"

Yes, I thought so.

I suppose you've got to give Kitna credit for...uh...trying to inspire his team and...uh...attempting to change the culture of losing that Matt Millen's worked so hard to instill. Still, if I were him, I wouldn't be checking my team's schedule as hard as I'd be checking the NFLPA health insurance policy for mental illness coverage. Yes, the NFL has had some crazy turnarounds in recent years for previously moribund franchises. Yes, the Lions did add Calvin Johnson and Tatum Bell to an offense that already showed promise in 2006 under Mad Mike Martz. Offense wasn't the problem nearly as much as that 27th-ranked defense was, though, and while Kitna seems impressed with new defensive coordinator Joe Barry, if the man doesn't have the horses, who cares? And I didn't see the Lions pick up anyone of note on defense this past offseason, unless Millen finally realized he's of more use to the team as a 49-year-old linebacker than he is in the front office. I lived in Detroit for two years and, believe me, stranger things have happened with that team...

By the way, who says "after looking at the schedule, I think we'll win more games", anyway? Does Kitna not realize that he's just become the first NFL player in history to instantaneously provide 16 WEEKS' WORTH OF BULLETIN BOARD MATERIAL?!?! I mean, seriously, doesn't every NFL team hold mandatory meetings telling players not to do this sort of stuff? It's not as much of a moral issue as, say, "don't take steroids" or "try not to commit a crime", but it's just as basic from a common sense standpoint, is it not? And Kitna's even a veteran, for crying out loud! He must have gotten knocked around more than I thought last year.

I thought about also saying something about Kitna's "Calvin Johnson is going to do the same things for the Lions that Reggie Bush did for the Saints" comment, but at this point, that would just be piling on, don't you think? I'll leave poor Jonny alone with his illusions of grandeur, although I would like to point out that Mike Martz is, in fact, a genius. Apparently, he's found a way to make egomaniacal insanity communicable. Kudos to Mad Mike!

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yes, I thought so too.
-gs

10:30 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Hey, you never know. I compare this situation to the Vikings in '98' Randall took over, Moss was drafted, and the rest is history. The Vikes ended 15-1. Now, will the Lions go 15-1? Heck no, but they can win 10 games. With the addition of Johnson Kitna will have a huge season, but like you said, the defense will limit them.

10:24 AM  
Blogger Lock Ness Monster said...

I don't know if you did this intentionally, but you just pushed the right button for this Vikings fan. I guess it's possible. With the '98 Vikes, all the defense had to be was middle of the road, and my recollection is that a change in attitude got them there with essentially the same personnel as their bottom 5-ranked effort the year before.

So, I remain skeptical, and I still say the Lions will be looking at their opponents' A-games because of the ill-advised "schedule" comments. However, I am now willing to take back the evil laugh at the beginning of the post. That's all you'll get out of me for now, though.

11:35 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home