Monday, February 13, 2006

Random Thoughts

Sorry for the lack of posts lately. Here's what I've missed:

1. Art Shell is the new/old Head Coach of the Raiders. After tooting my own horn with the Krivsky hiring as Reds GM last week, I must mention that I dropped the ball in picking Whisenhunt for this position. Good coach, eminently qualified, and his rep's never been higher, but it was precisely for those reasons that he didn't want to take over in coaching's black hole. Good for Shell, though; he never should have been fired in the first place. Even Al Davis says so, and he never admits a mistake.

2. The whole Wayne Gretzky gambling thing is a non-story, a point emphasized by the fact that his wiretapped conversation that has him asking what can be done to keep his wife safe is now known to have taken place the day investigators broke the news to him. I hope to never hear anything else about this again, but I know better.

3. Michelle Kwan now realizes that she is not physically able to compete at an Olympic-worthy level. I guess I can buy the whole "too much respect for the Games to compete at less than 100%" angle, but doesn't this just underscore why she should have had to compete at the U.S. Trials in the first place?

4. Bode Miller disappointed in his first event in Torino, and later reports surfaced that he was out drinking heavily the night before. BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA (full disclosure: I'm a huge Lance Armstrong fan)

5. There was some good stuff coming from the Olympics for Americans, however. You had to like the way Shaun White got choked up after winning gold in the halfpipe. And how is it physically possible to do some of the stuff those guys were pulling off? Count me as part of the populace that does not discount X Games-type events as insignificant due to their fledgling status as Olympic events. Those people are athletes, pure and simple.

6. Sammy Sosa is now leaning towards retirement. The response around baseball: a resounding yawn. On the plus side, if he goes through with it, it'll give him more time to learn that confounding English language.

There's one more note to pass along. One of our Sports Guru competitors has proposed starting a NASCAR fantasy league. We'll need at least 4 more people to get it off the ground, though, so if you're interested, please let me know.

1 Comments:

Blogger Ahamed Iqbal said...

1. Good for Art Shell, he's a solid coach and at least he'll the guts/respect to call out players when they lose.
2. Sucks for Wayne Gretzky, I believe he didn't know. Gotta be tough to have your wife and assistant coach hide all that from you. What's she need with $75.000 anyway?
3. Hype, Hype, Hype. I'm sure Kwan was under a lot of pressure from the team to at least go to Torino so they could get more press. I can't name any of the other skaters and in a sick way I think the Olympics are happy to get another story out of her.
4. I'm with you on Bode Miller, he isn't worthy of changing Lance Armstrong's flat tire (drunk or sober).
5. Still not sold on any of the sports that depend on judging. Give me a sport where judges/refs have no part...like curling.
6. Sammy Sosa, start up the hall of fame debate now...HA!

And I'm game for a NASCAR challenge, very low effort, very nice for me.

4:42 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home